21 February 2009

Birthday Boy




#1 son (I only have one...) turned 5 a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe I have a 5 year old! He is the best little boy I could ask for. Caring, kind, smart, and defiant are some of his fabulous traits. I wonder where he gets the defiant from? He was set on having a monster truck party so we tracked down Monster Jam party supplies. B was so excited to open the box and see all the paper goods and treats. The best by far was the pinata. A huge Grave Digger. I changed it into a pull string pinata so it wouldn't get destroyed and more importantly my furniture wouldn't get destroyed by a bunch of 5 year old bat wielding high on birthday cake kids. These days, Grave Digger resides on top of a dollhouse. B wanted to crush the house. 

I made the cake the night before with hubbies help. It's become a yearly occasion for us to stay up way too late the night before drinking and making/decorating cakes. The later it gets the more crazy the decorating gets. We are so tired and have ingested way too much icing and candy. The cake was a bit simpler this year. 2 layers of 9x13 cake iced together. We then made a ramp with a graham cracker held up by trimmed cake bits and a lot of icing. Cover the whole thing in graham cracker crumbs, a few cars and trucks and your done. 

I'm not sure why I decided to do this but I thought it would be a fun idea to put a custom Kansas plate on a t-shirt for all the kids. Again hubbie came to the rescue with finding an empty plate and using power point magic. It was a bit late (after the cake) so they didn't actually get ironed onto the shirts until the morning of the party. We also laminated plates that we printed out on card stock to play "pin the plate on the truck."  The kids loved that. It worked out great actually. Everyone got a t-shirt with a monster truck pencil, the laminated plate and various goodies won/collected during the party. I put everyones names on a brown paper snack bag so they had a place to collect everything during the party then take home after. B had a good a good time so I guess it was all good.

2 comments:

Diana said...

love your party ideas, very creative. I guess I raised a couple of fellow crafters and creative girls. I love it!!!

lots of fun for the B'day!!

Love Mom

Deelee said...

you guys are so creative. I made a birthday cake 1 time and that was all she wrote. Love the shirt idea!